Southern Style Fried Chicken; -Crisp well-seasoned skin rendered of excess fat, is a hallmark of this mouth-watering dish. Since the introduction of it to the American south by Scottish immigrants, this well-known dish has quickly become a staple food here in America.
Cooking is fun and very rewarding, but in order to keep it that way we must follow a few simple steps in order to keep our kitchen experience enjoyable and accident free. Poor sanitation and improper handling is the number one cause of food poisoning bacteria such as salmonella and E. Coli.
Seasoning the Chicken and Batter:
For this recipe, we’re using a bread crumb/flour mixture, buttermilk to marinate the chicken, and a whole chicken cut-up for our chicken pieces. This consists of: two breasts, two thighs, two legs, and two wings. Okay, now we’re ready to start!
- 1 – 4 Lbs. chicken cut into 8 pieces (see picture)
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- ¼ Tsp. Cayenne pepper
- ½ Tsp. Ground white pepper
- ¼ Tsp. Oregano
- ¼ Tsp. Thyme
- ¼ Tsp. Rosemary
- ¼ Tsp. Sage
For the batter:
- 3 Cups of flour
- 1 Cup regular breadcrumbs
- 2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tsp. Ground white pepper
- 1 Tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ Tsp. Onion powder
- First, place all chicken pieces into a large mixing bowl and then add all seasonings one-by-one.
- Then, begin with one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon ground black pepper, one teaspoon paprika, one-fourth teaspoon cayenne pepper, half a teaspoon of ground white pepper, one teaspoon ground dried herbs consisting of oregano, thyme, rosemary, and sage, and two cups of buttermilk.
Mix all the ingredients well, cover your bowl, and let it set overnight in the fridge:
- And for the batter; we need three cups flour, one cup bread crumbs, two teaspoons of salt, one teaspoon paprika, one teaspoon white pepper, one teaspoon garlic powder, and half a teaspoon of onion powder.
- Using a whisk, I mix all the dry ingredients until they are all well-incorporated.
- After the chicken has marinated overnight, give it a quick stir and then you are ready to combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
- First, place the breadcrumb/flour mixture into a plastic container and coat the chicken pieces one-by-one. Set the temperature to 300° degrees Allow the chicken to cook for twenty minutes then check the chicken for doneness using a reliable thermometer.Fahrenheit and load the chicken into the deep fryer basket without over crowding it.
- Your thermometer must read at least 180° degrees Fahrenheit to assure that the chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat.
- After that, place the chicken on a plate lined with paper towels before plating to further remove excess oil.
Serving fried chicken can be achieved in many ways since it goes well together with a lot of side dishes.
The most common side dishes around this area are mashed potatoes and gravy, along with corn on the cob, potato salad, coleslaw, and steamed vegetables such as green beans and carrots. Whatever it is you decide to serve with your fried chicken, it will most likely be a hit for you and your family. That’s it your done, serve your fried chicken on one of the side dish mentioned above and enjoy your fried chicken!