This dish Giniling you don’t hear much about when you’re talking Filipino dishes. My mom doesn’t make this very often, but when she does everyone in the family loves it.
My mom’s version is a pretty common one, but I decided to make mine a little bit fancier and add red and green bell peppers. I even made a green bell pepper bowl to go with it just to make it more presentable.
- 1 Lb. of Lean ground beef
- 1 Large potato diced
- 1 Small onion diced
- 1 Small tomato diced
- 2 Gloves of garlic smashed
- 2 Tbs. Corn oil
- 3 Tbs. Soy sauce
- ½ Green bell pepper diced
- ½ Red bell pepper diced
- ½ Tsp. Ground black pepper
- ½ Tbs. MSG
- Pinch of salt if necessary
- In large pan saute garlic in corn oil until golden brown and then add the ground beef.
- Break ground beef apart as it cooks, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add onions and let them cook until they hit the shiny stage.
- Next add ground black pepper, msg, soy sauce, potato, and tomato.
- Stir, cover, and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Add the bell peppers and cook for an additional 1-minute.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
Note: Also try the Turo-Turo Style Giniling. Check it out!
To make the bell pepper bowl: cut around the bell pepper with a carving knife in a saw tooth, jagged edge pattern. Remove all the seeds and rinse. Scoop the cooked ground beef into the bell peppers and arrange on an individual plate and serve it with white or fried rice.